Now that we have the 7 steps to discovering your true self, let’s dig deeper into the final nugget.
The seventh nugget: Affirm Yourself
Affirmations. Affirmations. Affirmations. These are huge. Even if you don’t believe them to be true right now, you can practice saying things that you want to be true. Take a minute and think about the things and people in your life. What is going well? Encourage yourself to speak more positively about your life and the impact that things and people have in your life.
Our thoughts, in many ways, determine how successful we can be in any given moment. The powerful impact that affirmations have over our daily confidence and self worth when we are feeling down or negative is backed by research.
I believe in myself and my ability to succeed.
Many times we do not realize how much we affirm others over ourselves. It is sometimes easier to give someone else a compliment before we give one to ourselves. Instead of constantly criticizing yourself, try affirming yourself. Get started with one of these ten affirmations below:
- I will turn negative thoughts into positive ones and create a safe space for myself
- I am a positive and focused person filled with faith, confidence, and enthusiasm
- I trust that everything in my life will be fine and give myself permission to be emotional so that I can learn and grow
- My words matter and I can add value to any conversation
- I see so many positives in my life and I am transforming my life day by day
- I am trusting the journey and accept myself as I am
- I am more than enough, my life is valuable, I am worthy of love, peace, and happiness
- I trust myself to make the right decision, I believe in myself and in my abilities
- I will not let my anxious thoughts have power over me. I will use that energy to help me understand my thoughts and feelings
- I am relaxed, refreshed, and healthy
Write down one or two of your favorites on a sticky note, in your phone, in a notebook, or even on your bathroom mirror and speak life over yourself, every morning. There’s a powerful app called “ThinkUp” that you can download on your phone and you can record yourself speaking your affirmations and replay it at any time. Hearing our own voice has so much impact on our brain and so does repetition. It is encouraging to ourselves when we start our day affirming and reminding ourselves that the process of eliminating negativity starts within. This helps to set the tone for your day. Give yourself permission to fail, you are not perfect and we all make mistakes. Turn the failures you experience into lessons so that you can be and feel confident enough to move forward and try again. YOU got this!